Risotto with Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- 6 small cloves garlic
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups roasted vegetable stock, kept at a simmer
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place tomatoes and garlic in a small baking dish or ovenproof saute pan and drizzle with about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake until tomatoes are very brown and skins are blistered, about 40 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Coarsely chop tomatoes, reserving them with all cooking liquid and garlic. Set aside
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat until very hot. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add rice and saute for about 2 minutes, or until the grains begin to turn opaque. Add enough hot stock to just cover rice, about 2 cups, and cook, stirring constantly, until stock has been absorbed. Add another cup of stock and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until all stock has been absorbed but rice is still firm.
- Add reserved tomatoes, cooking liquid, and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring continuously, until rice is al dente. Mix in basil and about 1/2 cup of cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot in individual pasta bowls with remaining cheese sprinkled on top.
Yield: 8 servings