Spicy Hot Black Eyed Peas
- 1 pound shelled fresh black-eyed peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve hot grease)
- 1 can (16 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- Combine peas and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, stir peas, tomatoes, and next 9 ingredients into hot bacon drippings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture into a serving dish and sprinkle with bacon and parsley.
Yield: 6 servings