World's Best Squash Casserole
- 2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 TBSP butter, melted
- 1 and 1/4 cups round buttery cracker crumbs, divided
- 1- 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 jar (2 oz) diced pimiento, drained
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine squash and enough water to cover in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is tender. Drain well and mash slightly. Set aside.
- Saute onion in butter until tender. Combine onion, squash, 3/4 cup cracker crumbs, cheese and remaining 5 ingredients.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole or an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cracker crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings