Spring Onion and Spinach Soup
- 4 medium Vidalia onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 TBSPolive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, lightly steamed
- 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes, well-drained
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onions, garlic and three tablespoons of olive oil for 5 minutes until limp. Add remaining tablespoon of oil and potatoes; stir-fry one minute.
- Add broth, cover, and simmer 45 minutes until potatoes are mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in steamed spinach and tomatoes. Puree about a fourth of the total amount at a time for 30-60 seconds in a food processor or blender.
- Pour soup into a large heat-proof bowl and spike with cumin and salt. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Serve cold or pour into a saucepan and bring slowly to a simmer over medium heat. Just before serving, add jalapeno peppers.
Yield: 6 servings