Refrigerator Pickled Peppers
- 3 cups vinegar (distilled, cider, white wine or a combination of 2)
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 TBSP salt
- 2 cucumbers, seeded if not seedless
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds sweet bell peppers (combination of red, green, yellow and orange), seeded and thinly sliced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove from heat to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables and place in a large mixing bowl to combine. If desired, pack into a gallon glass jar with a lid or in 3 quart canning jars.
- Add the mustard seeds to the cooled vinegar solution. Pour the brine over the vegetables, cover, and refrigerate at least 3 days.
- Will keep 1 month in the refrigerator. Note: the brine mixture can be kept and reused for a second batch of pickled peppers.
Yield: 6 cups