Coconut Pineapple Tart
- crust for double pie
- 1/2 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast almonds by spreading in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie pan with single crust. Cut out heart shapes from other crust and place on ungreased baking sheet. Spread pineapple preserves evenly over crust and top with toasted almonds.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold in coconut and vanilla. Spread over almonds in pie crust.
- Bake pie and baking sheet of hearts for 8 - 10 minutes or until hearts are slightly browned. Move hearts onto a cooling rack, but allow pie to finish baking for about 10 minutes more, until crust is light golden brown and top is lightly toasted.
- Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or cool with heart crust garnishes.
Yield: 8 servings