Spicy Wheat Bread and Tomato Salad
- 12 thick slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, halved crosswise and sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread diced bread on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast for 7 minutes or until dry on the outside. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add mustard and cumin seeds, cooking for 1 minute and stirring frequently. Add onion, peppers and salt, cooking for about 8 minutes until onions are soft.
- Stir together cayenne and yogurt.
- To skillet, add yogurt mixture, tomatoes, cucumbers, and lime juice. Cover and cook 5 minutes more until heated through.Toss in bread chunks.
- Spoon onto individual salad plates and serve immediately.
Yield: 4-6 servings