Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp dry buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs or all-purpose cornmeal
- 3 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 TBSP cooking oil
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Place flour in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Combine egg whites and dry dressing mix in another shallow dish. Set aside.
- Place crumbs or cornmeal in another shallow dish. Coat each tomato slice with flour, then dip in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs or cornmeal.
- In a large skillet, heat half of oil over medium-high heat. Arrange a single layer of coated tomatoes in skillet. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until slices are golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet.
- Cook remaining slices, adding oil to skillet as needed. Sprinkle fried tomatoes with grated Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4-6 servings