- 1 package (6-oz) self-rising corn meal mix
- 1 can (11-oz) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- guacamole or avocado dip
- sour cream
- cilantro sprigs
- In a medium bowl, place the corn, bell pepper, green onions, red pepper, flour, corn meal, buttermilk and egg. Stir.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet. Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into hot oil. Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and batter. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix equal parts of avocado dip and sour cream together. Serve with avocado cream and salsa, and garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 10 servings