Granola Date Bars
- 1/2 cup (8oz) chopped dates
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup half and half or light cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick oats, not instant
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Heat dates, coconut and half and half in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until mixture boils and thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, soda and cinnamon in medium bowl and mix well. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly moistened.
- Press about 3 cups of granola mixture into bottom of 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Place in refrigerator about 30 minutes to harden.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread cooled date filling evenly over granola base. Sprinkle remaining granola mixture (about 3/4 cup) over date filling. Bake 25-30 minutes or until granola topping is slightly browned and crisp. Cool to room temperature before cutting into squares.
Yield: 16 bars