Chicken Cakes with Oven Roasted Cherry Tomato Puree
- 2 cups skinless rotisserie chicken meat, in 1/4-inch chunks
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- 2-4 TBSP all-purpose flour
- salt and black pepper
- 15 large cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small yellow onion, cut into small wedges
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cornmeal, optional
- 4 TBSP vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cilantro, breadcrumbs and mayonnaise. Add flour, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture is not too loose. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered at least one hour or up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes and onions in a single layer in a lightly greased jelly-roll pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Sprinkle mixture over vegetables.
- Roast for 15-17 minutes or just until tomatoes begin to split. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. When cool, place in food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Adjust seasonings if necessary, cover and set aside.
- Divide chilled chicken mixture into 6-8 patties at least 1/2 inch thick. If desired, dredge in cornmeal. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add cakes and cook 8-10 minutes or until golden on both sides, turning over once. Serve immediately with tomato puree.
Yield: 6-8 appetizer servings or 3-4 main dish servings