Lima Bean Soup
- 1 pound dried lima beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp saffron threads
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 TBSP Anisette
- salt and black pepper
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- grated carrots for garnish
- Optional: Cooked turkey sausage or salad shrimp
- Place beans in a large stockpot and cover with water. Soak at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Bring beans and soaking water to a boil over medium-high heat. Partially cover, decrease heat to low and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes. Add more water if needed. Drain beans and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium high heat. Saute onions and garlic until fragrant and tender. Add wine and saffron. Reduce mixture to one-half while over high heat. Add stock and bell peppers. Bring to a boil, then decrease heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour beans into stock mixture and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in hot sauce and liqueur and season to taste with salt and pepper. For a heartier soup, add slices of cooked turkey sausage or salad shrimp.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with parsley and grated carrots. Serve hot with crusty bread.
Yield: 8 servings