Mashed Potato Patties
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the potatoes, cheese, 1 of the eggs, salt, onion powder, and pepper, mixing well. Shape into 6 thick patties and set aside.
- Place the remaining egg in a shallow dish and lightly beat. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate shallow dish. Dip each patty in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry patties in the hot oil 10 to 12 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
- Note: The patties can be shaped and refrigerated up to a day ahead. You can also completely make them up to 1 hour ahead of time. Let them stand loosely covered at room temperature and reheat in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings