Strawberry Almond Short Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole toasted almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 TBSP sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 cups strawberries, cut into wedges
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Puree whole almonds for 2 minutes, or until very fine. Add to butter mixture along with flour and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until 1/8-inch thick. Lay the sheet of shortcake on a sheet pan (still covered in plastic wrap) and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap from dough and place on a cutting board. Cut into 1-1/2 x 2-inch rectangles. Place on sheet pan and lightly press 2-3 almond slices into each rectangle.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve almond shortcakes with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
Yield: 6 servings