Tortellini with Dried Tomatoes and Eggplant Croutons
- 1 pound fresh cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried tomatoes
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1-1/2 TBSP garlic salt
- vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- herbs for garnish (oregano, basil or parsley)
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, adding the dried tomatoes to the cooking water during the last half of cooking to soften. Drain. Toss with olive oil.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle eggplant with garlic salt. Deep fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Scatter eggplant croutons on top of cooked pasta, season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Yield: 4 servings