Chocolate Truffle Mousse
- 8 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate melts.
- Combine yolks and 1/4 cup whipping cream. Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of chocolate mixture into yolk mixture. Add to remaining chocolate mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until mixture reaches 160 degrees. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Beat 3/4 cup whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Stir in vanilla.
- Stir 1/2 cup of whipped cream mixture into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining cream mixture. Spoon into four stemmed glasses.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream.
Yield: 4 servings