Freekeh and Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lightly toasted cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 6 TBSP olive oil
- Place the freekeh in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 22 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and place a clean kitchen towel over the uncovered pot. Replace the lid and let sit 10 minutes. Then uncover and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the parsley, celery, onions and chickpeas.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the juice, cumin seeds, garlic and oil. Secure lid, then shake to emulsify.
- Stir the freekeh into the vegetable mixture, then add the dressing and toss. Let rest 15 minutes, then toss again and serve.
Yield: 4-6 servings