Fresh Berry Napoleans
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 8 almond or shortbread cookies
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 pints fresh berries-strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or blueberries)
- 2-4 TBSP powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Process almonds, cookies and sugar in food processor until finely ground.
- Grease a large baking sheet. Place 1 sheet phyllo on waxed paper and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crumb mixture. Place another sheet of phyllo on top and repeat until all sheets are used. Cut into rounds with a large cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip cream and powdered sugar until stiff. Fold in sour cream and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In blender or food processor, combine a cup of berries with a bit of powdered sugar to make coulis. Add more sugar if needed. To serve, place a heaping tablespoon of cream on each phyllo round. Top with berries, then with coulis. Repeat if desired. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4-8 servings