Italian Sausage & Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 pound Italian sausage, sliced
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 (10-ounce) cans hot diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (6-ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain and return sausage to skillet. Add peas, tomatoes, green chilies and garlic powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Lightly grease and preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread mix according to package directions. Add rice, sage and onion powder.
- Cook 1/2 cup of cornbread mixture in waffle iron. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cut waffles into wedges as an accompaniment to Black-Eyed Pea Stew.
Yield: 8 servings