Not Your Grandmother's Macaroni & Cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, divided
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cup coarse dry bread crumbs
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 -1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 1 TBSP minced chives
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound macaroni
- In a small saucepan, melt one tablespoon butter in olive oil. Add bacon, bread crumbs, parsley, zest and crushed pepper, tossing well.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic and cook, stirring about 30 seconds.
- Add cream and simmer, stirring until reduced by 1/3.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan, goat cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add macaroni to boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain and transfer to serving bowl. Add cheese mixture and toss. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture on top and serve.
Yield: 8 servings