Plants Featured in this Clip
ACER palmatum 'Bihou'
- Most ornamental grasses are cold hardy and will sprout back from the crowns. Wait until early summer to see what comes back.
- Laurel varieties include SCHIPKAENSIS (Schip laurel), LAURUS nobilis (sweet bay), PRUNUS laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' (cherry laurel), KALMIA latifolia (mountain laurel), and MAGNOLIA grandiflora (laurel magnolia).
- Distyliums have been promoted as an exciting, new group of broadleaf evergreens for the southern garden. However, these are not faring well in Zone 7a in a typical winter, so buyer beware.
- If you love camellias and want the investment to last, Troy recommends the April series of cold hardy camellias introduced by Dr. Clifford Parks.
- One should expect that nandinas, like aucubas, will have to be cut back hard in most instances.