Spinach Gorgonzola Custards
- 1/2 cup cooked, chopped spinach
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 5 ounces (about 2/3 cup) crumbled Gorgonzola or Feta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- crumbled Gorgonzola or Feta cheese for garnish
- Drain spinach well and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Just before melted, add oil and stir together. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and cook, stirring occasionally 20 more minutes until onion is caramel colored. Reserve 1/4 cup onion mixture.
- Spoon remaining onion mixture evenly into 6 lightly greased 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese.
- Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients until blended. Stir in spinach. Spoon evenly over cheese and place cups in a 13 x 9-inch pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1-inch. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to40 minutes or until almost set.
- Remove cups from pan and let stand 10 minutes. Un-mold and top with reserved onion. Garnish with crumbled cheese and serve. Note: This may also be baked in a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
Yield: 6 servings