Couscous Salad with Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium purple onion, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 TBSP mustard seeds
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup minced dried tomato
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked couscous, orzo or rice
- Place bell pepper on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 5 inches from heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until blistered. Place pepper in a zip-top plastic bag, seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skin. Peel, remove and discard seeds and chop. Mix pepper with onion and cucumber and set aside.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and red pepper together in a small bowl.
- Cook mustard and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until toasted. Immediately stir into oil mixture. Add tomato and cilantro, stirring well.
- Bring water, pepper, garlic and couscous to a boil and cook until couscous is done. Immediately add vegetables and stir well. Toss with dressing and serve.
- Note: Can also be chilled and served as a cold salad.
Yield: 8 servings