Eggplant Blue Cheese Spread
- 1 large eggplant, diced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- toasted baguette slices or crackers, as an accompaniment
- Toss eggplant with kosher salt, and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat until very hot. Add eggplant and cook without stirring, until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and toss well. Remove mixture from heat, add vinegar, and stir well. Let cool for about 15 minutes, or tepid.
- Crumble blue cheese into eggplant mixture and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices or crackers.
Yield: 8 servings