Fruited Wild Rice
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Cover wild rice with hot water in a large bowl. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over low heat. Add onions, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add wild rice, white rice and stock to onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and bake until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Mix apricots, cranberries, raisins and pecans into rice, discarding bay leaf. Transfer to ovenproof dish, cover and bake until fruit softens, about 15 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
Yield: 6-8 servings