- 1 cup sugar
- 1/ 4 cup water
- 2 cups peeled, seeded and diced watermelon
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 quart carbonated water
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and water. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Turn off burner and let cool ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the watermelon and lemon juice in the container of a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a large pitcher. Discard any solids. Add the sugar syrup to the watermelon mixture, stirring to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least four hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in the carbonated water. Serve immediately over ice.
- Watermelon Tip: Uncut watermelons are best kept just a bit cooler than room temperature. Refrigerate them only after they are cut, or only for a few hours before serving if you want to serve cold.
Yield: 2 quarts