Pimento Cheese Spoon Bread
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (2-ounce) diced pimento, drained
- 3 egg whites
- 1 TBSP sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine water and cornmeal in a medium saucepan, stirring well. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in milk and next 7 ingredients. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites at high speed of mixer until foamy. Add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg whites into cornmeal mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites..
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 50 minutes or until set.
Yield: 6 servings