- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP grapefruit juice
- cooked slices of country ham
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a cast iron biscuit baker or baking sheet and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the juice just until the mixture is moistened.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 5 times. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness and cut with a 2-inch cutter.
- Place on prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with sliced country ham.
Yield: 12 biscuits