Corn Spoon Bread
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 -1/2 cups finely ground cornmeal kernels from 4 ears fresh corn (about 3 cups)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp cayenne sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, bring the milk and stock to a boil. Reduce heat to low, slowly whisk in the cornmeal and cook, whisking often, until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cayenne sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the egg yolk mixture and cheese to the cornmeal mixture, stirring well.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda and stir it into the batter. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan and bake 45 minutes to one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Yield: 8 servings