Appalachian Tomato Marmalade
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large oven-proof saucepan. Saute the onions until tender and slightly brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt, seeds, and pepper. Stir well.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes until thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Yield: 2 cups