Crunchy Cucumber Salsa
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 med cucumbers (peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 cup roasted cashew halves
- 2 scallions, thinly slicled
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- salmon steaks, grilled pork loin or chicken breasts
- plain yogurt, if desired
- In a small skillet, cook cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool, then coarsely chop or coarsely grind with mortar and pestle.
- In a large bowl, combine seeds with cucumbers, cashews, scallions, juice, oil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve with salmon steaks, pork or grilled chicken. For a variation, you can mix it with plain yogurt for a version of Indian raita.
Yield: 4 servings