Hot Tomato Grits
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) container low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 TBSP green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place the bacon in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. When the bacon is crisp, gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the grits, tomatoes, and chilies. Return to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 15 - 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cheese, cover, and remove from the heat source. Stir after 5 minutes, and serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings